Rutherford of Hunthill
The Hunthill cadet's name is spelled Rutherfoord and/or Rutherford. The Hunthill estate is south of the town of Jedburgh just east of the Jed Water. This cadet’s orignal location Chatto is located almost due east of Jedburgh near the Northumberland border. This cadet also owned an estate in Peeblesshire near West Linton and Carlops called "Rutherford Castle". The Hunthill line goes back to the 15th century and produced through one of it's branches Andrew Lord Rutherford, Earl of Teviot. The Earl's title passed through the Lords of Hunthill till the line died out in 1720. There are many junior lines from this family; Longnewton, Bankend, Littleheuch, Capehope, Ladfield, Knowsouth and Kidheugh. Some are possibly of Hunthill origin but are unproven at present. The Hunthill Rutherford's have many descendants in the USA from the Nisbet-Crailing area.
Hunthill - "Or, three passion nails within an orle gules, and in chief three martlets sable, beaked of the second."
Blazon’s translation: A red voided [empty] shield is placed upon a golden shield. At the top portion of the gold shield there are three black legless birds with red beaks. Hanging from the inside of the red shield are three triangular piles or nails.
*Differenced with the Gordon of Huntly red rooster as a crest and 3 piles in gold from the Douglases of Morton. The three piles, also known as passion-nails, refer to the three nails used to fasten Jesus to the cross.
*The simple coats of arms are always the most ancient. Whenever anything else gets added, it's called "differencing" and is used later in history to denote different individuals.
Motto: "Provyd" - "Provide" or "God provides all that is needed"
More information on The Rutherfords of Hunthill
|Copyright © 2005-2006 by Software Andina, All Rights Reserved.|